MySQL Proxy Gotcha on Solaris SPARC

The Problem

During a recent install of MySQL Proxy on a Solaris 10 system (sparc u3), we encountered the following error whenever we supplied the --pid-file command-line argument:

Conversion from character set ‘646’ to ‘UTF-8’ is not supported

However, if we omitted the --pid-file argument, it worked just fine.
The Solution
Running ldd against the application revealed no missing libraries but when we ran it with truss, we discovered that it was indeed missing some library files:

open64("/export/home/mysqldev/mysql-proxy-32bit/inst/glib/lib/charset.alias", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
access("/usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/", R_OK) Err#2 ENOENT
access("/usr/lib/iconv/", R_OK) Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/iconv/alias", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT

It turns out that the Solaris system we were using was originally installed using the Core System cluster (SUNWCreq) and did not have all the requisite Unicode packages installed. So, an installation of the SUNWuiu8 package (from the Solaris distribution media) duly resolved the matter.

Leave a Reply